THE TWENTIETH CENTURY
The American Temperance Movement and Prohibition signaled the death knell for Albany Ale. Though opponents of alcohol had been active for decades, on January 17, 1920 National Prohibition went into affect—banning the sale, production and transportation of alcohol. When Prohibition was repealed in 1933, only three of the eleven breweries operating in Albany—Hedrick, Dobler and Beverwyck—re-opened.
Harkening back to the early days of Albany Ale, William Newman opened a tiny brewery on Thacher Street in Albany during the early 1980s. While Bill's brewery wasn't very large, it was—arguably—the first craft brewery on the east coast. Popular with college kids and connoisseurs, Newman's—the last commercial brewery in the city of Albany—would close in the late 1980s. It did spur the emergence of several brewpubs , and was at the forefront of the modern craft beer movement.
As brewpubs became fashionable, Albany was no exception. The Big House Brewing Company and C.H. Evans Brewing Company at the Albany Pump Station began brewing beer and serving food within the city of Albany, while Malt River Brewing Company and Brown and Moran’s opened in Latham and Troy, respectively. The brewpubs, unfortunately, would also find a similar fate as their historical counterparts. Today only the re-named Brown’s Brewing Company and the Albany Pump Station remain. C.H. Evans Brewing Company at the Albany Pump Station is currently the only establishment producing beer within the city limits of Albany.